Although we don't really celebrate Halloween, I love to keep some of the traditions from my childhood. We have the actual night covered, since our church celebrates the reformation of the church with a Reformation Party. Carving pumpkins has been our other established fall tradition. So last Wednesday, I took ALL my children, my three plus the three I keep after school, to the pumpkin patch to pick out a couple of pumpkins.
What did I do right this year?
- I decided what I would spend and I stuck to it.
- I let the bigger boys do ALL thier own work on their pumpkins. I only did what I was asked to do.
- I let the two teams of two boys each work out their own plan for carving. The negotiations rivaled that of NATO!
- I bought a little pumpkin for each of the little ones and let them decorate their own.
- I actually took photos and videotaped!
It was the most fun I have had in a while . . . and I think the kids had fun too!