Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Celebrating Independence Day

Things have changed a lot in the way I celebrate the 4th from when I was a kid. When I was younger, my aunt lived near downtown, so we had a big family celebration at her house. After a huge dinner, we would walk down to where my uncle worked and go up in his tall office building to watch the fireworks over downtown. The fireworks were great, the food wonderful, but for me it was all about family--aunts, uncles, and lots of cousins, and my grandma, of course!

I still celebrate with family, but the celebration has changed a lot. Tonight it was me and two of the boys. (Josh spent the night with a friend.) I asked them what they wanted to do, and being boys, what they really wanted was to blow things up! So this morning we went and bought some fireworks. We had hot dogs (all-American!), and ice cream, and played games together. The surprise God had for me was that we joined up with the family across the street to explode the firecrackers. Their daughter and son-in-law and four grandsons were over, so my boys had four other boys to be wild with. And of course, it was great fun blowing things up! Best of all, I didn't have to light a single one!

My family, and my celebration may have changed in thirty years, but we are still celebrating together. I hope that my boys look back on wonderful memories of family fun and being together.

No comments: