Saturday, April 29, 2006

How I Hate Age Six . . .

No, it's not what you're thinking. I LOVE the creativity, and even the energy of a six-year-old boy. I just hate the way that age magically causes them to leave behind thier babyhood. Andrew and I went shopping together today. In the car we were talking. I was teasing him about "girl stuff," you know, Barbies and princesses, and dress up clothes.

He said,"I HATE all those girl kinds of things!"

I asked him,"Aren't you going to get married some day?"

"NO Way!" came the response. He professed even to hating the color pink, a color that was his favorite just yesterday! (Yesterday? Or did I blink and two years flew by?)

Now, he's never getting married. He hates to be hugged and kissed (sometimes!). He loves to go out with mom, then hates that he had to come. We're on that roller coaster, and I've already seen in the other two boys where it leads. I'm finally losing my baby to manhood, and he's only six! And a part of me grieves the loss of having my babies in my arms and their need for only me.

How am I ever going to manage the empty nest?

No comments: