Sunday, January 29, 2006

Never a Dull Moment!

Well, now that it is unfounded, I can confess that we have just had a bit of a pinworm scare here. I now know more than I ever wanted to about the little critters, and have performed duties as medical mom that I never dreamed I'd have to perform (nor did I want to!).

So here's the skinny on avoiding pinworms:
1) If your child plays in the dirt much, teach them to wash their hands really well and to use a nail brush.
2) Keep fingernails short. Yes, there is a medically necessary reasong for this;it is no longer just a fun sort of torture I can inflict on the kids. (And I can't wait to say for the first time, "You don't want to get pinworms, do you?"
3) Teaching sanitary bathroom habits is a must, even if it takes a little time, embarrasses them, or insults their emerging I'm-a-big-boy syndrome.
4) Washing hands is more than just a way to delay supper time so you can watch starving kids squirm.

While treating pinworms is a little less complicated than treating lice, it is still a pain, so prevention really is worth the effort. Sorry kids! Drill Sergeant Mommy rules again! You will have no peace!

No comments: