Sunday, August 27, 2006

12 Years Ago Today . . .

I was just settling into bed after dinner and a movie with friends. Little did I know that within a couple hours I'd be experiencing incredible discomfort as I went into labor with my first baby. It was an all-night labor, and Josh was born at around 1pm on August 28. A dozen years ago my life changed. I became a mom for the first time.

Tonight I had to sit up with that same little boy, not so little now, to help him make a grown-up decision. He wants to play an online game, and after much research and prayer I feel like it's inappropriate at best, and potentially dangerous. But he's 12 now, and ready for more than just a no, so we walked through scriptures to base our decision on, and reviews of the game. Growing up is so hard when your heart wants to do something that your head tells you isn't right. And I'm left with a sullen kid because he has to give up something he doesn't want to give up, and he thinks mom is being unfair. Hopefully he'll feel better about it in the morning. Hopefully he'll resist the temptation to play behind my back. Hopefully I will communicate that I do trust him, even though I don't want him in the midst of overwhelming temptation and danger.

Twelve years ago it was about changing diapers and knowing how to feed him. When did it get so hard?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lisa,

don't lose heart and keep praying. It is hard being the Mom who has to say "no" sometimes.

love, helen

Erin said...

Wow, 12 years. It's hard to believe I've known you for 9 of those 12. And I still remember the chubby-cheeked little boy who called me "Aunt Erin" before I was officially part of the family.

I hope Josh has a wonderful day celebrating his birthday!