Thursday, June 29, 2006

If Mueller Had a Car . . .


. . . he wouldn't have been like I was the last couple days! George Mueller was a man of God who lived in the early 19th century. He is known for his faith and for the boldness of his prayers. He ran an orphanage that had thousands of children come through, yet he never asked for a penny. How I wish I was more like George Mueller! He assumed that God would bless him in his work for the kingdom. He waited and looked for God's blessing, preparing to receive it.

I have definitely not been like Mueller the last few days. A close friend was hospitalized over the weekend and the doctors do not seem to know what is wrong or how to make him well. Then the brakes on my car started grinding a couple days ago, resulting in a hefty repair bill. I responded to God with tantrums and selfishness. Where is my faith? Four years ago, my husband left and I assumed that I would not be able to continue the level of involvement I felt was necessary to train my boys to become godly men. Yet here I am four years later, my home is secure and God has provided every year for me to stay home and homeschool as He called me to do. Why do I slide back into doubt so easily? Oddly enough, about a year and a half before my husband left, I was introduced to George Mueller. He instantly became one of my heroes, and I prayed that God would give me his kind of faith. I guess I was expecting an easy gift, for if I had known the kinds of trials that would be required to get there, I'd have probably told him I was content with the mustard seed of faith. I guess that God is still working on my request, since I failed the exam so miserably this week. Hopefully, I won't have to repeat the test any time soon. Perhaps between now and the next test, I'll prepare myself better for it.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty." Mal 3:10-12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!!!