Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What Goes In, Must Go Where?

Time for a quiz! What do Philippians 4, Horatio Hornblower and Andrew have in common? Last week, I let the boys watch the first four Horatio Hornblower movies. I discovered them on an old videotape, and after watching the first one, realized they are great entertainment fodder for boys. So we quickly got school out of the way last Thursday, and spent the rest of the day "learning" about the British navy during the Napoleanic era. (Are you impressed with how educational I can make sitting in front of the TV sound?) All of the boys were quite taken with the stories (which are wonderful!), but Andrew has especailly enjoyed "acting out" the things he saw.

He told me a few minutes ago, "I'm not pretending Horatio Hornblower, and I'm not acting out 'The Wrong War,' [one of the Hornblower movies--AJ's favorite] I'm just being a guy and he's named Horatio Hornblower."

O-key Dokey. I guess he has temporarily had his name legally changed. Either that or he's practicing running for office.

So what does this have to do with Philippians? In Philippians 4 it says,"And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you." Whether he knows it or not, little Andrew just proved this scripture true. We become a little of what we meditate upon. Even if we don't admit that we are "pretending."

I'm actually a little glad that one of Andrew's heroes is Horatio Hornblower.

No comments: